Back to Home

Bigbang Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Big Bang | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Responses Chapter One, Verses 1-21

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on September 25, 2003 17:23:17 UTC

Responses are in *** response***

Apparently, a new requirement for a longer password length has made my "bible_believer" username account inaccessible, thus the new account name with a "2".

Thank you for identifying your presumptions
and your offer to be more specific.

I would like to dispel any misperceptions which seem to abound at times when communicating in this manner (short posts).

You indicate that I take what some Jewish rabbis said literally.
Can you identify who these rabbis are, and what each said, so that I can confirm or deny the presumption ?
I only know of one Jewish Rabbi.

***I mean the jewish rabis in Babylonia who wrote the original version of the Torah. Prior to that it was a strictly oral trasmission. But once exiled, the Rabis thought it should be preserved in hard copy. At that time they incorporated the Babylonian creation story which I presume you take to be literally true. I take the 6 day creation story to be metaphorically true as it does outline the story of evolution that biologists espouse, except that two days got switched. BTW- the rest of the oral tradition was finallywritten in the Talmud***

Regarding another presumption, if "literal" in "every case" means even when Jesus is clearly making a "symbolic" reference,
then I would disagree that I take the Bible literally in "every case" as you indicate that you do.
There is such a thing as "rightly dividing".

Could you provide me with an example which you take as literal for which you believe that I do not concur ?
A dialogue on such a point might be enlightening for both of us.

*** It is my view that Jesus said that only Jews could go to heaven when he literally said that to get into heaven you have to keep all the laws of Moses. There are 613 of them in case you did not know. It is now impossible to keep all of them as a few essential spiritual elements of the laws are missing, e.g., the temple and unblemished red cows, or was it bulls. However, the Talmud contains the advice of Moses on how to deal with changing conditions that require changes in the law. Then again, some laws, like the celebration of the New Year starting tomorrow, were stated by god (via the rabis) to be celebrated by everybody for all time and never to be changed. It seems that all of Christianity have forsaken this law and presumably have therefore forsaken GOD.***

I am pleased that you took enough interest to respond but am puzzled
as to why you seem to indicate these posts to be an annoyance.
Do they get posted in the wrong Forum or do you believe them to be too far off topic ?

***Sorry. I did not realize I said they were an annoyance. Actually I rather enjoy preaching. I invented my own religion that subsumes all others but Islam. So in a sense I am a preacher. I just do not have a flock.

The spider of this web site did create the G&S forum to bleed of posts of this sort. Then again he earlier created the Big Bang and Black Hole forums to bleed off those types ***

While I may not be able to stay long,
I pray that posters like me will continue to come along
if God will receive any glory from it.

*** I think god is having more fun than the rest of us. That is why enlightened persons are so happy***

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins