Back to Home

Bigbang Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Big Bang | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Please Keep Trying - You Can Have A Guarantee

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Eric Clark on October 28, 2003 14:09:11 UTC

RE:>> * Since Christ himself endorsed baptism by water, and we are the follow his example, then there must be some value for it. Scripture says it is for the remission of sins. *

By “endorse” I presume you mean “demonstrated an example”.
Is this the example where you have to have the Spirit descending from heaven in a bodily shape like a dove upon you and a voice coming from heaven ?
Is this the baptism you have had ?
Doesn’t John 1:32-34 indicate that this culmination of all baptism examples was to identify the one true baptism is to be baptized by the Holy Spirit ?

Yes, we are to follow his examples of life and commands, but not necessarily verbatim.
The word example implies just that. Can you get baptized with water to identify yourself as a follower of Christ ? Yes, BUT we are to use judgment. If I get baptized with water and it causes another standing by to believe that the “water baptism” had saving power and that person trusted in his own “water baptism” for salvation, I have done great harm and not followed the example of Jesus.

RE:>> * Now the Old Testament pffors many mathods to remit sins. I would regard baptism by water as just another method, one endorsed by God as well as Christ. *
The “methods” were pictures on the One true Heavenly method to come. The Messiah.
Doesn’t orthodox Judaism teach that the Messiah was to be more than a prophet, more than a man ?

RE:>> * I would suggest that remission of sins is of value for salvation, but perhaps not a gaurantee. *
Remission of sins occurs at the moment of salvation, but it is not the working force of salvation. It is the Holy Spirit regenerating your heart at the point of accepting the work of Jesus Christ on the cross as your full and complete atonement for all your sins forever.
Repentance is a natural outpouring upon realization of your sins against the God who loves you and who only can save you and is present at salvation, though it too is not the working force.
Once you hear (the Holy Spirit reveals as truth) this gospel, it is guaranteed that you may receive salvation in no other way.

I pray that you will know that the peace, and freedom, and complete assurance,
rest in this gospel of Jesus Christ.

Love in the grace of Him who sent me to you, Eric

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins