Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Mathematical Ontology

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 10, 2001 03:30:38 UTC

Hi Luis,

>>>Reading through these threads, I see that many people ascribe metaphysical *meaning* to the focus of their posts. (I'm referring specifically to the idea that mathematical entities are not simply a human invention, but rather an innate aspect of reality.) This treatment of any scientific discussion will invariably decay into a "my dogma is better than your dogma" discussion.>Is it not the nature of science to maintain a tentative hold on belief, no matter how tried-and-true said belief may be?>). Some would use set theory to tout mathematics as independent of its objects, and therefore metaphysical, but an indepth examination of the issue reveals that set theory is wholly dependent upon the mathematics it supports. I.e., it is not independently logical. Again, we're heading down the road to absurdity.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins