Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Physics Of Party Baloons

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 8, 2003 14:42:09 UTC

Ever since I learned about it, I have been puzzled by Einstein's realization that inertial and gravitational mass are the same. If they are in fact the same, then we are standing on the surface of the earth, our weight is simply our body's resistance to acceleration. It is not, as we are taught in grade school, the result of a force attracting us to the center of the earth, because a falling body has no weight.

So all evidence seems to point to the fact that we are being "pushed" toward outerspace by.... by what?

" So do you feel your pressured from all sides, or pulled from one? "

Do you think it's possible we are being pressured from one side - the in-side? Imagine two baloons being inflated close to each other. They can't tell they're being inflated because their relative sizes remain unchanged; the only thing they can observe is that the space between them is getting smaller, until their surfaces eventually touch (provided they don't burst). And after they are in contact, one baloon feels the other's internal pressure exactly the same way we feel earth's gravity!

Could it be there's more to that than just a coincidence?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins