Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Good Point!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 10, 2003 13:58:43 UTC

But I already knew my "theory" was bogus. If it were right, the sun should have swallowed the earth a long time ago, which is obviously not the case. That is not to say the idea can't work with some adjustments, but that is beside the point - any idea, no matter how preposterous, can work with adjustments.

However, the reason I'm intrigued by the inflating-balloon view of gravity is that it is, at least as far as I can tell, totally analogous with Einstein's accelerated-elevator experiment. Einstein formulated the hypothesis that gravitational mass is the same thing as inertial mass, but even though the hypothesis has been confirmed by experiment, there is no logical basis for it. If gravitational mass is simply "resistance to acceleration", does that mean all objects resting on the surface of the earth are being accelerated a G right now? How?

An inflating earth seems to provide the logic, but it also creates difficulties, as you pointed out. But I can't think of anything else except, perhaps, that gravitational mass is NOT the same as inertial mass. Do you think that is possible?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins