Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Noah And The Fish

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Daniel Johnson on October 16, 2002 21:00:18 UTC

Hi. I'm a new poster to this group. I note the bitter tone of the discussion on Noah's Flood. With some trepidation regarding that bitterness, I'll add a thought.
Whether a Creator had his hand in the making of our world is a valid question; I certainly hope so, and my interest in astronomy stems partly from a feeling of connection with Him when I see His work in the sky above.
That said, the idea of literal creationism is not supportable. God, if He is worth worshiping, cannot be a deceiver. His most evident and indisputable work is the universe containing the world around us, and that work cannot be a lie if God is truthful.
That world tells us that the Biblical flood cannot have been literally a whole-world event. If so, for example, did Noah take along a breeding pair of every fresh-water fish species? With flood waters covering the entire globe, and with the flood (supposedly, according to other posters in this group) so overwhelming that it could help form Mount Everest, there is no way that fresh and salt waters could have stayed separate. Most fish from fresh water die quickly in the sea, and most sea creatures die in fresh water, for the same reasons that we die if we drink only sea water—we cannot handle the osmotic imbalance. Even fish that live near the mouths of rivers often need the partial salinity there and cannot handle fully fresh nor fully salt water. Life is sensitive to osmotic changes, so one cannot argue that all fish species could have survived in a partial-sea-salinity environment.
So, did Noah carry fish? If so, how did he gather species from distant places? They could not swim to him, nor could their eggs. And their eggs would also be sensitive to the salinity, in many cases. Yet the world has separate species in salt and sea water, with only a few species being able to bridge the gap and live in both.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins