Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Creationism

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by littlefish on October 17, 2002 02:20:28 UTC

Hello, I understand the agrarian revolution is thought to have started approx 10,000 years bp in what is present day Iraq. And the period in question is also the time of the end of the last ice-age. Not withstanding the theory put forward about the Black Sea flooding large areas in the near east, I consider it quite probable that sea levels rose considerably in this period, due to melting glaciers and polar ice-caps. Of course the intensely superstitious people who lived through the ensuing period would create myths and folklore about this, in much the same way as they did about everything else. I doubt very much if these rising waters swamped huge areas otherwise we would find evidence for this in the writings of the Egyptians. It is interesting to note, however, that Australian Aboriginees in the north of the country claim to have ancestral knowledge of the area presently underwater and extending to the edge of the continental shelf. I think it's fairly safe to say there would have been floods in that time and the superstitious people believed the whole world was affected.
That's a good example where a logical explanation can be reconciled with a religious one.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins