Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Ten Commandments. What They Really Mean.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aaron Viviano on October 19, 2002 15:32:22 UTC

This will bascially consit of what quite said and what the Ten Commandments say.

1.Do not worship any other gods besides me.

quite: "Remember your true purposes in life, with priority governing action"

Bible: Worship only God, no other "Gods" are worthy of the worship that should be directed only at God.

2."Do not make idols of any kind, whether in the shape of birds or animals or fish. You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of those who hate me, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations. But I lavish my love on those who love me and obey my commands, even for a thousand generations."

quite:"Any Graven Images are Not of God, so Do not worship the graven images or idols of this world ahead of your own private, eternal horizon."

(quite that would make you your own God.)

Bible: Do not make idols! Do not worship them! God is a jealous God and he will not be shared with another "God"! He puniches sins of those who hate him, infact he punishes them to the 3rd to 4th generation. Unless those of those generation love him. He pours out love on those who love him and obey him, to their decendents of the 1000th generation!

3."Do not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name."

quite:"What's number X, nutrition or math?"
Bible:"Do not blaphemy the name of God. Do not use it as a form of vulgarity or he will punish you!"

4."Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days a week are set apart for your daily duties and regular work, 10but the seventh day is a day of rest dedicated to the LORD your God. On that day no one in your household may do any kind of work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; then he rested on the seventh day. That is why the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy."

(hmm.. a 6 day creation.)

Mike: Even if you have endless assignments, you are not a machine...take time off to remember your purposes in life!

Bible: Remember to rest, (like what quite said) but always dedicate a portion of your rest to the lord. It uses to be a day with out work, but Jesus declared everyday to be like the Sabath so while there is no day to stop work. Do not work all the time and when your not working think about God.

5."Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God will give you"

quite:"The world doesn't give us the right signals sometimes but this one is a patch. It is an act of power-sharing for a government or religion to suggest giving honor to all, whether rich or poor, simply for being willing to parent their children. It sets an atmosphere of respect which the natural world might at times neglect.)"

(huh???, What does government have to do with this? It is a commandment to children to honor there Father and Mother. Not a patch, but a path.)

Bible: HONOR your father and mother. Obey their teachings, learn from them. Do this and you will live a long and happy life.

(Of course if your Mom or Dad is telling you to do something against God's Word then don't obey them, but still honor them as you mother and father.)

6. "Do not murder."

quite:"In its day, this must have been a step forward to some folks. Its day still has not entirely arrived for everyone"

Bible: Do not murder! One may kill (which is not murder) if it is for personal defense or national defense.

7. Do not commit adultery.

quite: "Some folks literally had no concept of this. We treat it in great detail in our literature today, in a freer society. I am not trying to constrain your freedom to choose your relationships based on this."

Bible: Do not commit adultery. If you are married to a husband or wife you may not have sex with any one one else. You also may not have sex if you are not married. To even think have having it with some one else if Adultery!

8. "Do not steal."

quite: "Commerce requires a willingness to refrain from stealing. If others are willing to produce value and trade with you and NEVER steal from you, it is a new, free world compared to the old model where trade was only necessary if they could not steal from you. It frees up a lot of security guards in case they want more interesting work, too."

Bible: Do not steal. Do not take what is yours it is wrong and offensive to God.

9."Do not testify falsely against your neighbor."

quite: "This one is inherent in modern science. If not for honesty 'when nobody's looking,' we would not be as happy or successful as we are."

Bible: Do not lie against your neighbors or about anything else.

10. "Do not covet your neighbor’s house. Do not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else your neighbor owns."

quite: "Envy..."

Bible: Do not be jelous of what God has given others lest you break other commandments to get it!

That was fun quite was close on somethings and on others well just plain wrong on what they mean. As much as people want to change the Ten Commandments to mean something else they can't with out changing the Ten Commandments, though quite's modern interpretation suggests what is wrong with society today: Following some, misinterpreting others and even forgetting some!
(Though quite, for the record only forgot one)

I will be gald to discuss if you disagree with me on this one.

-Aaron

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins