Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Personal Note To Dr. Richard Stafford

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Aurino Souza on August 13, 2002 14:29:39 UTC

Hi Dick,

Chances are this is my last post to you on this forum. I'd like to give you an explanation and make you an offer, you are entitled to reject both, I won't be disappointed.

First the explanation. I've been trying to play the devil's advocate with you. I took the opportunity to learn some physics and as a consequence I learned something about how physicists think. It's now clear to me that you don't think like a physicist, which is far from saying you are wrong. At the same time, because you don't think like them it appears to me that you are missing their point as much as they are missing yours. Hence my offer.

I have mentioned before that I wanted to work with you to make your ideas more easily understood. You see, despite all the superficial "evidence", I'm convinced you are neither a clown nor a crackpot. Unless I'm a crackpot myself, I might be in a privileged position for having been able to overlook your rhetoric and grasp the essence of your argument. As I said before (did I really?), I think your arguments are extremely solid, but the way you present them makes it all appear like nonsense. That's why most people ridicule you, and if you're honest enough with yourself you should take at least some of the blame for that.

So my offer is, I want to understand more of your ideas, and I want you to help me write a (hopefully) better version of it. I'm sure that, if presented in the right manner, with the right language and the right attitude, even an intelligent skeptic like Luis could seriously consider your points. I would consider that quite an achievement.

Everyone has their own list of "things I want to do before I die"; this is one of those for me. I'd be thrilled if you can be a part of it. If you can't, or won't, I'll still try it, although I'm not sure I can do it on my own. Either way, the whole idea is in the spirit of fun and enlightenment, with focus on the former and hopes for the latter.

Let me know what you think, here or by e-mail. I'll take your silence as a "no", and I'll respect it.

See you,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins