Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Physics Of Language

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 27, 2002 19:26:43 UTC

I accept the ordinary linguistics which specifies at the most basic level that sounds must be distinguishable to be communicated. So the physics of language is acoustics, not gravity. One might use the words of Newtonian theory to describe the meaning of words in a language, but those words must be redefined. The actual physics does not carry over. The meanings given to sounds are arbitrary as indicated by different meanings given to the same sounds in different languages. Stafford's theory should apply to language, the ultimate form of communication, which is a prime example of the fact that definitions control the communications of sense impressions.

If you can figure out what I just said, let me know. I cannot. But there does seem to be somethingworthwhile in there somewhere.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins