Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
True Enlightenment

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Benjamin Nelson on January 31, 2001 05:33:39 UTC

Alexander:

I am astounded by your scholastic prowess. I drop to my knees and beg for forgiveness for ever doubting that you were indeed a scholar of renown -- and just when I got the impression that you were majoring in typing. But you have set me straight and I stand in the ranks of the true believers. Indeed, who knew that it could all be so "plain and simple." In the time since humanity began gazing at the sky, an insignificant amount of starlight has fallen into our eyes and our instruments, yet you can extrapolate a cosmos. Where one might rely on faith in the brains' ability to see the core of creation, you make no auxiliary assumptions. Here the drive is not to preserve God at the center of creation; for you -- Alexander -- are here to guide us down the path of true enlightenment.

Granted, I don't know you, but I'm pretty good at catching true scents and I honestly don't think you are as irrational as you seem. So why don't you take whatever pill it is that really opens a person up? Given a real truth serum, I think you could probably stands people's hair on end. In the meantime -- or until you can swallow your own tripe -- my best advice would be to acquire a little humility. Who knows, besides learning something, you might very well converge asymptotically on "truth." But that depends on whether you believe, like Plato, that mathematics and natural laws exist in and of themselves, or whether you believe, like Einstein, that there is reason in mystery. Either way, the whole truth will always eluded you; try as you might, you will never succeed in squeezing the immensity of creation into your tiny head.

B. L. Nelson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins