Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: You Might Consider

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on February 3, 2001 15:57:22 UTC

Maybe it's just me. I've for many years been acquainted with people of all walks of life/learning who think they know it all and hold theories as undisputable. But I figure it's arrogant to say 'This was proven, so there is no room for question.' I question everything. And when stuff comes along 'this is how it works and here's proof', I figure 'that is probably so, and I could be very wrong to question it', and like everyone else I weigh 'how much does it even matter in the scheme of things whether or not I choose to agree or disagree or pursue to dispute" because, really, a life is too short to study ALL things THOROUGHLY and still cook and clean and make a buck or two and develop one's talents. and if others don't respect my choice to pursue other things, oh well, i guess.

as far as evolution, since none of us were here since the beginning of human time, that is one heavily studied theory that has brought forth what may be acceptable proof. i just question whether it is the only theory that WOULD provide proof or if humans preferred sometimes to go with studies whose ground has already been broken. (law of expedience?) I know there are other theories, so I simply find it cool that humans have brains and imaginations and opposable thumbs to help them prove or disprove, and i appreciate the work and talent that goes into it. but i don't think evolution necessarily disproves a god, because he could have engineered evolutionary protocols just as he did with keeping things in their orbits, putting the seasons in their place, etc. and i'd probably be considered a heretic by the religious communities for even entertaining the possibility of evolution - but i don't base my belief on what others choose or don't choose to believe or think, so i guess it's too bad for them. there's plenty of cool stuff to think and discover if one would just have an open mind that god's big enough to do it all, and it may not have to be one way OR another, it could be one way ANd another AND even another.

as for a bioligist claiming existence of Zeus - there is probably some evidence that could lead to that, who knows?

i do wonder, however, do you know why you are even concerned with the beliefs or lack thereof of others?

i think we might agree that a person would do well to let their belief in god give them MORE reason to study his sciences than to reject them out of hand. i figure sciences are the multitude of studies of what all he made and did and does. and i appreciate him not JUST for what he made and did and does cuz he's a friend of mine. :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins