Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To K34to890er3's

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 27, 2002 17:31:58 UTC

"Is there a chronilogical begining on the evolutionary timescale? If there was, what started it? Has the universe been around forever? What I'm saying is was there a begining? "

1. Yes

2. Maybe God, Although it couldn't be proven scientifically in my opinion.

3. I don't know

4. Maybe

Very thought provoking! I bet you are the smartest kid in your class with those hard hitting questions. Here are some equally tough questions.

Genetically speaking - When a sexually reproducing population has very low numbers there tends to be a lot of inbreeding. Now, this does not mean that there will be kids running around with 6 heads or anything, but it does pose problems. Most genetic disorders arise on recessive alleles. Small populations in which members are closely related tend to carry the same recessive alleles. When these members mate, the recessive traits have a better chance of showing up in the phenotypes/genotypes. Also, small populations tend to have less genetic diversity and are at much greater risk to be wiped out by a single environmental stress (virus, climate change, predators, prey population declines). All of this being said - How did we all come from Adam and Eve? It is a stetch to say that we all came from 2 people, in my opinion. Look at the protection we must provide for endangered species today. Cheetah's have such low numbers that without our help they would have perished from a single virus or severe inbreeding (popping up of recessive disorders).

Are all the different variations and adaptions we see in humans all over the world a result of lost information? The tall people? The short people? The fat people? The skinny people? The dark skinned people? The fair skinned people? The in-between skinned people? The smart people? The dumb people? The strong people? The weak people? The fast people? The slow people? All those people came from 2 people, and since then have grown into 6 billion diversified peoples - and that is a loss of information.

Why is the average height of American men getting taller? Is that a loss of information? Why do certain people with the HIV virus never contract AIDS? What if those people had a selective advantage? Would an outbreak of a deadly virus that could kill off 75 percent of the world population (travel), push the gene pool into a certain direction?

Do you ever ask yourself reasonable and logical questions? I have thought of the questions you asked and came to the conclusion that you are purposely asking questions that you know there is no answer to - scientifically. All of those questions could be answered with blind faith in Christianity and God. Science is not able to answer those questions just yet. Why can't you understand that? It does not mean science is wrong, it simply means that not enough evidence has been gathered to support any one theory conclusively. Get it through your head. Science is not meant to prove absolutes, it is meant to support, revise, or discard current theories.

BTW, Saying that flies were spawned from meat is actually not bad science for the day. They observed meat with maggots and it and then flies. The conclusion was the flies were spawned from meat. Without the aid of microscopes and a means to discredit spontaneous generations, then I would say it was just science in progress.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins