Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Few Months Back...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on January 9, 2002 07:01:00 UTC

A few months back, I was caught in a bit of discussion relating to how GOD punishes the bad (If GOD actually does punish).

An example of GOD serving punishment was the planet's demise in the form of an Asteroid.

As weird as it may sound, and such weird timimg.

Was anyone aware of the fact that an asteroid, recently, did (in a sense) have a close call with Earth?

Does it make sense, according to the reports, that this asteroid, which was about a thousand feet long, could take out a country the size of France? Note: They did not indicate the asteroid's speed. I would imagine that it was traveling pretty fast. Maybe fast enough to do damage like that.

1. Are scientists correct in their damage assessment? (Given: 'x' speed, mass, and displacement)

It just does not make sense to me how something that small (or is that really big?) can leave a damage path like that.

The report mentioned that another asteroid was on it's way, a lot faster, and a heck of a lot closer too.

The closest approach of the recent asteroid was in the neighborhood of three hundred thousand miles. (Just the other side of the moon with respect to us)

Ouch

Rob

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins