Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alex's "stubborness" Is Justifyable...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Mark on November 2, 2001 23:44:09 UTC

Because he isn't too unlike any of us. We all may listen to other people's views and opinions, but when you get right on down to it... nobody in this forum is will ever convert you to their system of belief; no matter how convincing an argument or how wise a debate they have to offer... All we can all do, is exchange ideas and learn a little about how other people think.

In that sense we are all stubborn, although a little more open minded than Alex seems to be. Alex's religion is simply physics, and he will fight his position to the grave as do most devout religious faiths! I think he too likes to debate; otherwise he wouldn't be posting here (I hardly think he has an alternate underlying conspiratory plot to convert everybody here to his religion).

I often argue pro-science with my mother (who is Christian). I find scientific knowledge to be all-too-convincing and yet she stubbornly advocates "fairy-tales" of Adam & Eve, and magical creation of Planet Earth in seven days...

At that, I'd like to bring up one last point...

Call me stubborn, but I believe Alex to be sadly mistaking when he debates the subject of freedom. Alex you fail to realize that throughout history, many nations were ruled under theocratic dictatorship or monarchy. You should be thankful that you have the freedom to express your views, as do we all. You're "radical scientific heresy" could have gotten you burned at the stake had you lived in 16-17th century Europe.

You will preach and preach and preach against God and bible myths, and then paradoxically turn around and speak against the freedom to do so... Imagine if you committed these "high crimes" under rule of the Taliban in Afghanistan, where you don't have the freedom to do so!! You would become an interuption to the regularly scheduled military-enforced soccer game to get your head blown off...

If we can't reach a consensus on anything else... let's agree to disagree! and THANK GOD (or Symmetry) for freedom!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins