Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Of Course, There Is A Lot Yet To Explore And Learn About Nature.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on November 3, 2001 18:45:55 UTC

I never said there isn't. We are in the moiddle of "...if-then-so-thus..." logical (=mathematical) chain we call natural events, and because we DO NOT know initial conditions, we can NOT say what was (or is) before (or under) currently known phenomena. So, we HAVE to experiment and use math to move back to more and more initial conditions (and to more and more fundamental objects).

Also, there may be a great deal of PARALLEL "...if-then-thus-so..." threads which we do not know about yet (dark matter, dark energy, etc) but which exists from initial conditions and which still may be interacting with known natural phenomena (threads may intersect). Or there may be a parallel thread which never intersect with our threads (parallel or, or other spatial dimensions universes), and with different force (ineraction, or coupling) constants and different number of spatial dimensions.

So, I never insisted that our knowledge is copleted. I only claim that nature works as logic (=math) prescribes - there is no known natural phenomena which does not, and never were.

In contrast, religion claims that there are human-like beings which actually produce thunder or move sun across sky, or which made Earth in a day or so. I am very sad that people who see that thunder is simply a big spark, that Earth rotates to "make" Sun move across sky, and that Earth was created a little different than described in the Bible, that these people can not open their mind to one more step toward freedom of thinking: why keep gods around if things go by themselves (=as prescribed by NATURAL mathematical laws).

So, I blame poor education: it seems that most people still do not know natural laws and their mathematical origin. I know at least one teacher in my university (here, in US), who teaches Newtonian mechanics (phys 2010 or so) and when students ask him about relativity, he says "Yes, there is such THEORY, but it only is a THEORY, nothing more - so it could be right or wrong", and students then are under impression that SR has NOT YET been proven - that no one ever moved with such high speed to observe "weird" effects of SR. Very religious guy, by the way.

Also I know another professor of biology, who often tells students that evolution (from simple to complex) clearly violates laws thermodynamics and therefore is obviousely guided by God.

If you think that it is not typical for US university for teachers to be so much behind, it is incorrect. Collaborating with many of them across the nation I found that about 2/3 (!) of university professors believe in God and about half of those who believes consider life, evolution, brain, and sometimes even QM and GR as EVIDENCE of gods existence contrary to known facts. So, students are told wrong things and they become similar believers too.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins