Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Someone Here Said That PhD Degree Does Not Mean Much.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on November 3, 2001 19:19:35 UTC

Indeed, I found myself often in embarassing explanation to some PhDs in physics holders how nature works (both in my university, and in others not to say about forums).

You mentioned Richard. Well, I remember how he replied when I tried to explain him where do conservation laws come from - he said that "Alex, your theory that they come from symmetries is WRONG" (He may correct me by fetching exact wording from archive). While it is a well known to any physicist fact. (See any physics textbook or visit, for example, some educational sites like: http://www.emmynoether.com/index.1.htm ). By the way, it would be helpful to you too learn a little about mathematical origin of natural laws before you make embarassing statements about them.

Also, I explained to him what is magnetic field, and which electric field we call "a photon", and many small things about lasers (because he claimed to be a laser physicist but did not know some basics about lasers).

So, PhD from american university does not mean much. After all, US educational system is far behind the rest of developed countries (20-30 place as acknowledget by US department of education), so US PhD is more like a master (or even worse) in Europe or Asia, where students are not so free to take easy classes, to not do their homework or to complain that a professor's math is "too hard".

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins