Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Still Trying To Hit The Nail On The Head, Storm

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jack McGee on June 11, 2001 05:12:08 UTC

This is not an objective subject matter is it?
In fact it's almost entire SUBJECTIVE. The example of " Santa Claus " is a poor one. Throughout history ( ex. 17th century Ottoman Turkey ) there have been several avatars who have
outstandingly exemplified the role of such a character. Who, in good spirit and all covertness,
delivered goods to the doors of sleeping guests.
In this light I state that a " belief " when held
by a majority ,can be interpreted as truth. For
instance, when Gallileo introduced the idea of the
Earth being not the center of the universe, and that we in fact revolved around the sun, the vast majority held him as heretic and threw him into jail. Only when he confessed that this declaration
was not entirely true, was his life spared. His life and reputation never recovered and he died a
poor, homeless man. The belief that the Earth was the center of the universe was held to be truth.
( Which whether or not was reality, was in FACT
the ONLY THING THAT MATTERED ) unless you wanted
to be beheaded.

While we're on the subject of Pragmatism ( which really envelopes modern thought ) I just as soon quote from a famous Pragmatist. ( Just fer the hell of it )
-
-" It is better to be feared than to be loved"
-Prince Machiavelli
-
-This statement suited his needs at the time he spoke them. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how the human race has always functioned! If I am wrong about that, then the Tele-Tubbies DON'T scare the
Language Removed out of kids! We are all hypocrites, we will always BE hypocrites. So to say that religion isn't real, or God's aren't real, or this isn't true, or this or that because it can't be..blah blah.blah...is totally rediculous. We are a puny
race of 6 billion. Our existence has only spanned 2.5 million years, and our global civilization is an infant of less than 100 years. That's it.
And then it could be arguably less, since the invention and global utilization of aircraft and
intercontinental travel only became widespread in the last 50 years. We are ARCHAIC! Who are we to
make such demanding SPECULATIONS???? Shame on us.
It is Pragmatism that is our curse, our technology that will save us, and our religion that will feed us. We may not all NEED " GOD "
, but for heaven's sake let the people who DO, alone. If they're happy, I'm happy. That's one less depressed mother-fucker on the highway with a highball in his lap! You'd be suprised of the power of prayer.
of communication and collaboration ever since
that first thought by stone-age man
" Who am I? " " What am I here for "?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins