Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Again

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 16, 2001 01:01:46 UTC

"You speak as if you are
sure of what truth is."

I don't know what truth is, but I know it exists. Independently of the human mind. In your train example, you may not know that you were hit by the train (assuming you WERE killed instantly) but it still effects you (no more consciousness) your family (no more you) anyone who knew you or would have known you in the past. Despite the fact that you were never privy to the truth that you were killed, that fact resulted in many changes for the rest of the world.

As you so eloquently put it: "It matters not what Bill
Thomas' reality is. I don't fuckin give a flip, THUS it doesn't exist for me."

I disagree. There is no such thing as Bill Thomas's reality. There IS such a thing as Bill Thomas's PERCEPTION of reality. Both your and Bill's perceptions are describing the same thing: actual reality, without ever getting there completely.

Compare it to this: one person is wearing red tinted glasses and claims the sky is red. (Well, not allowing for light wave interference but bear with me.) His friend is wearing green tinted glasses and claims the sky is green. Since both have only one frame of reference they believe they are right, and argue with each other for hours. However, neither one ever thinks of taking their tinted glasses off and seeing the sky for what it is.

We may never get our personal glasses totally off, but we can get close (as I have said 1.8 million times to you.) Simply saying "It's no use, just believe whatever you want, nothing else matters" is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins