Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on February 26, 2001 18:58:02 UTC

Very Good! I like it very much.

Let us examine the supposed rigors of the scientific mind!

I personally define "the truth" to be exactly what you believe it to me. ("You", of course, is who ever is reading my definition.)

Now, let any scientist prove that definition false! He obviously can not and yet I assure you he won't accept it!

The problem is that the Scientist demands that the truth be fixed and unalterable. No rational person could put such an absolute constraint on the concept. Any rational person must admit that he may be wrong about anything. Put that together with the idea that the truth cannot change and the word "truth" can have no application to reality.

Thus I come to the following pair: The truth is exactly what you believe it to be; but, no matter what you believe, you will most probably discover you are wrong. Both must be kept in mind.

I do not understand -- when I tell people that, they just say I'm nuts. I don't know, it makes sense to me. For over 50 years, I have never seen it lead to a contradition.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins