Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What Should We Call What Most People Call Truth?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on February 28, 2001 15:06:15 UTC

>"If truth is what any person thinks"

I did not say that; I said, "truth is exactly what you believe it to be!". Ah, I reviewed to make sure I quoted myself correctly and discovered "be" had become "me"!! A gross typo!

>If I make a statement and someone says "Is that true?" My response is usually either "I think so." or "That's what the evidence seems to indicate."

That is an entirely rational answer totally consistent with my definition; i.e., what you beleive is correct is truth to you!

>How are we to know what people think is true if we can't rely on what they say they think?

What makes you think you can rely on what they tell you!!

>Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

I think you are!

>If truth has the definition you give for it then what do we call the ideal I'm referring to?

I say you are referring to exactly what I am referring to; my definition is just more thought out.

What should we call the objective ideal that is not subject to the individual observer?

The objective ideal "as you define it" does not exist, or, even if it does exist, it has no significance to us!!

>The unique addition about "you'll probably be wrong" is particularly interesting to me. >Did this come from your unique life's experiences?

If the ability to think came from my experiences; to me, it is a simple statement that the idea that "truth" is absolute and unchanging makes it, clearly and immediately, an impossible goal! When you apply that constraint, there is no truth!

>It promotes a more humble attitude about opinions, scientific or otherwise.

Everyone should recognize that most of what we think is opinion not fact. (I haven't defined what I mean by fact have I?)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins