Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What's The Difference?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on March 5, 2001 19:45:35 UTC

You are getting this whole thing turned around!

I never said that the truth was what someone else believed. What I said was that the truth was exactly what "you" (the person I am speaking to) believe it to be. The truth for me is exactly what I believe it to be.

The only complaint I have with the "generally accepted" idea of truth is that it is held out to be unchanging. Notice that this characteristic is not mentioned in your dictionary definition.

My complaint is, if you hold that (lack of chang) as a required characteristic of "truth" then the word serves no purpose everything must be held, at best, as perhaps a well thought out opinion.

As to the case where our (concept???) (belief???), (understanding??) of the truth differs; than we should discus the differences.
If we are rational people we should be able to resolve the differences and thus agree as to what is true. Either that or we should be able to accept that our differences are opinions and not facts.

A rational person has no control over what they believe; that is why the language contains the word convinced!

By the way, I am of the opinion that the Mormon you refer to above is either lying to me or has never even thought about the issue; i.e., he (or she) has no beliefs, only opinions (and those, not thought out at all).

Of course, if you accept the opinion of the world, I am a nut!!

Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins