Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Grrrrrr....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on January 20, 2001 22:05:03 UTC

i admire your frankness, stormcrow (I was almost disappointed to discover you weren't the same stormcrow with whom i'm acquainted, an old acquaintence - i'm known as crow woman in some circles). ANYWAY, re: your "Yes, religion has a purpose...to keep the populace complacent and obedient." perhaps that is true of the older days/traditions, but some believers have read enough of the bible to see it said 'BE ANGRY, but do not sin' - he doesn't want us lukewarm about issues which we should have passion/action for. I think 'real belief' does not look for a bed of roses but of knowledge of ultimate victory. It would be SO much easier to take matters into our own hands, but we have the mantle of responsibility and wisdom to live out. Some folks just wanna live with a 'hand out', and if there were no belief in God would find another excuse.

I'm not a believer out of fear of repercussion to myself (which I will say I richly deserve, lest anyone think me self-righteous) as much as a recognition that as much harm and pain as I've seen on this side of the grave, I know that the goodness and beauty is but a shadow of what is to come, and that is what I look forward to, among other things.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins