Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: I Guess We Have To Agree To Disagree

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on January 27, 2001 02:10:21 UTC

i liked your 'linguistic acrobatics' - are you a writer? i figure humor's pretty essential, no matter what the belief.

re: your 'I don't think we're going to reach an agreement here' - not required, so no loss, eh? :)

'why people cling to faith' - i trust in god. my faith, or series of beliefs, serve as reminders that i CAN do that, cuz he's passed my rigorous tests. but i think i know what you're saying.

as for the '...when they don't understand it and can't explain it.' might be two different things. i understand why i believe. and i CAN explain and have, though perhaps there are those who receive/understand my explanation better than others. ? not to belittle it, but i love the taste of tacos. i don't know why, and i can't explain it, but someone who loves tacos also understands we just do, and explaining isn't needed, because it has similar positive effects on both. (did that make ANY sense at all? sorry!).

and i know what you mean about the zombie movies. i tell you truly, if power in life were as simple as believing in having another beer, that might be appealing, too, to a point! haha

'You seem like a nice person', don't let me fool you, i have my less-than-nice moments even now, with a past FULL of NOT nice ones! maybe it was the beer...

I already DID go through a time wondering if there really IS no meaning, and still i wound up believing when i least was looking to. go figure.have no fear about anyone else's faith or lack thereof. concentrate on your own, a day has worry enough, doesn't it? :)

'As callous as it may sound, the higher someone's faith, the higher I percieve their personal weakness to be.' That is also your prerogative, and if it's any consolation i don't take at face value anyone else's beliefs, either, even if they claim to be the same as my own. i just don't trust humans very well in general. well, no that's a lie. i trust some. but the loftiest ones one just kinda has to have a wait and see attitude and see if they are genuine or just acting, i guess. but, again, life is full of to-do's, and we have choices on how we wish to spend our time and in what pursuits of knowledge and truth.

but i must say i'm flattered you lend me your ear. thank you for that generosity, esp. since i know sometimes i get a little 'windy'. :) it is a pleasure to have made your acquaintence.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins