Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ok.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on October 22, 2002 05:16:47 UTC

"The issue is, in order for an issue of morality to be "absolute," that is, to be true external to ourselves, there must logically be a source of morality that is objective and seperate from humankind. A platonic ideal for a concept such as morality calls God into the issue by neccesity."

I agree. If there is an absolute right and wrong on moral issues, God must exist. Someone must have created those rules.

On a related note, wouldn't you look at the laws of physics and our incredibly complex universe and say the same thing? I think it is the same thing. I'm suprised some people don't try to explain how moral truths exist without God, just as they try to explain our physics. Who knows, they probably do.

I got off subject. I guess we agree on this. If moral truth exists, then so does God. Ok. Now, I guess we must argue if moral truth exists.

If moral truth does not exist, then why is it wrong to kill someone? Animals kill eachother all the time, and not just for food. But the police don't go after them. Animals have no moral code. There is no right and wrong. If a monkey steals a bannana from another monkey, he feels no pang of consious. If another monkey kills another for a bannana, it does not matter to it, he got the bannana. But this is different for us (humans). We know killing is wrong. It's just something we know. Parents don't have to tell their children, 'Honey, don't kill your brother. It's the wrong thing to do.' We already know.

Why would it be wrong to kill someone if he stole my food from me as I was eating? After all, I need food to survive, and he is not important for my survival. I kill him, get my food back, and continue to survive. Why don't we do this? Humans do not do this because God has instilled in us a 'moral compass'. These are my thoughts.

Sam, KC2GWX

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins