Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Socitey, Society, Who Cares?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on October 22, 2002 21:28:52 UTC

"I think you would agree that now, once the universe is in motion, no God is needed to push the sun across the sky, it's self-running."

Yes, but the key is in your quote: "once the universe is in motion" Once it is in motion, then no God is required. But I believe God was required to put it in motion. How else could these increbible complex and universal laws have come about? To imply they arose from nothing boggles the mind.

"A society cannot exist, for example, when murder is condoned. Noone would trust each other and the society would collapse."

This is your reason why we don't kill eachother? What does this matter anyway? Do you think the majority of people are thinking before every action, 'will this benefit society?'. I don't think so.

"Have you ever seen a dog's face when it craps inside the house and knows it shouldn't have? It reacts in a way humans would equate with genuine shame and guilt. Ever seen a cat's reaction when you come home from a long trip? It reacts in a way humans would equate with genuine affection and loneliness. Animals have emotions."

Yes, animals have emotions. I did not say they didn't. I said they did not have a moral code. I have a cat and had a dog (a Golden retrevier, he got hit by a car :( ), and I love(d) them. What do emotions have to do with a moral code? When a pit-bull (I have nothing against pit-bulls, they are soo cute as puppies) bites and kills a child, does it feel remorse?

"Are these actions you would expect to see in a creature totally devoid of moral sentiment?"

Mario, is it wrong to kill a human for no reason? If you answer yes, then please explain why.

Sam, KC2GWX

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins