Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Meaning And Truth

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on October 26, 2002 13:33:56 UTC

Such a great debate. Funny thing is that I am in agreement with both of your. You both seem to have the same beginning point regarding the universe but end up with differing conclusions as to its causation. Great debates are founded on common grounds.

What struck me is the distinction between meaning and truth. We make assumptions that yield meaning in our lives, but are ready to sacrifice them in the interests of truth. The best of all worlds would then be to get meaning from truth.

My compromise position is to speculate on the make up of the universe, including god, in such a way that the speculaions are compatible with ohysics. So here is one example that I have mentioned before.

The universe seems to be 26-D with an initial compactification of 16 of these dimensins. These 16 dimensions could contain a detailed program of the laws of this universe, the laws that do not change with time. These dimensions are totally entangled with the remaining 10-D which eventually become space-time and all the particles and/or fields in the universe. So there is a ready mechanism by which the laws can be implimented.

Now all this is speculation. But I like to build mechanistic models of the universe and derive meaning from them. In this case the meaning comes from the coiupling of this model with the evolution of universes, which implies both the evolution of gods in each universe, as well as the evolution of spirits and souls within each universe to the level of gods.

So in a sense I elevate evolution to the status of a god principle. That gives my existense meaning, and it comes from some semblance of truth.

Sorry to butt in on a great debate, but you guys got me hooked it's so good

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins