Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Take

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 9, 2002 17:15:05 UTC

on DoctorDick ( and I pray that Dr. Stafford will forgive me for saying this) is that 'when he agrees with your criticism, he does not respond'.

As an example, he has never responded to my claim that his first and all subsequent use of the delta function is his derivation equals zero because his summation excludes the points where it is nonzero.

He did say that the integral over the summation may be nonzero because different values of xi may be equal. But he expressly made every value of xi unique using unknowable data earlier in his exposition.

So I conclude that he must agree with my criticism. There are other such examples.

However, I also think that he is on to something even though the math is not rigorous, the results may be correct- something like an emergent solution. Some solutions are correct even though their derivation is incorrect. We just have not found the right way to derive it. Hall in the Journal of Physics (in an April 2002 issue) found a correct way to derive Schroedingers equation from Fishers sample probability theory (1925), which is roughly what Dick is doing- how do you predict the accuracy of statistics for a population when you have only small samples of that population.

So I find Dick's analysis and conclusions to be inspired but not rigorous.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins