Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Too Bad They Didn't Give A Thorough Response

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on May 13, 2002 14:26:51 UTC

Bruce,

Their comments are perhaps the natural reaction that comes to mind when reading sophist physics, but it is a missed opportunity that they didn't become very specific in their reply. From my perspective, people like Dick continue to gain adherents because the responses are not thorough enough because of the obvious reaction. However, false concepts such as creationism were able to gain adherents from more open minded people because the scientific response was slow. Now, of course, creationism is well debunked by outstanding contributions from many scientists, but if the reaction would have been sooner then this sort of thing might never have become as popular as it did.

I don't imagine Dick's model will ever gain that kind of fame requiring real thorough responses, but I think that such situations are real opportunities for Science to better explain itself to the public. That is what I enjoy about Dick's 'model', it has an inherent misunderstanding of science, and the correction to that misunderstanding moves at the heart of science and its success. Of course, a correction to Dick's approach will never convince an Aurino (who like Dick is pretty much sold on their own misguidings). But, it will convince others who are not as solipsist in their view of the world.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins