Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
God And Science, Where's The Difference?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Andrew Ogden on April 24, 2002 01:33:44 UTC

So this is my first time posting on this page and i most likely wont check the responses for a couple of days. what iterested me most is that i am 21 and it was nearly 3 years ago that i talked to a very spiritual person who was a scienctist. what field they were in i can't recall, but what they stated has stuck with me and i believe to be true. At some point in the near future, or rather very slowly now our science is becoming religion.
What i mean by this, as i have come to understand, is that as we find more and more theories to be closer and closer to trueth, through further experimentation we find that we are coming closer and closer to understanding that there are really just more and more questions to be answered. If this doesn't boggle the mind, then i dont know what does.
I have found that that is where a spiritual nature and an acceptance that we will understand at one point what is really out there. I have much interest in "new age" topics, so to speak, being that articles written in this genre only lead one to contemplate what has been found (or not found) and to deal internally with what we know of human interaction, physical relationships, and the cosmic expansion of our minds and universe.
I stumbled upon a theory of consciousness which said that a group of monkeys (or another of their species) on a remote island off of Japan (i beleive) had over time intergrated a new way of washing food that was foraged from the ground and made edible by washing it off in the river near by. after a generation or two, all different monkeys of the tribe had learned from one or two children how to do this and grew up instincually knowing this technique. At the same time on other continents it was found that the same animals spontaneously knew how to do the same thing.
What i am trying to make a point of is this: if we are here, and the animals can change over a period of just three generations, so as to change the entire population of a completely isolated species, then in time things like the internet and elementary schools will be teaching things as common knowledge tomorrow, which was only thought up yesterday. God versus science. Soon dogma will not be necessary. If you look deep enough into space, you will be seeing what looks so foreign, you will be looking for life and answers, when really we are the answer. Genentics holds the possibility of transformation, evolution, and of existence. Except for the skeptics and cynics, i think we will all hold some idea, or some realization that we are all aware and are here for a purpose.
The children of today learn to talk and read at younger ages than ever before. They can use computers by the age of 4 or 5, simple programs which some of our grandparents couldn't teach themselves with books. this might be saying a little much, but that span of 3 generations has made a prolific changer on our cultures and our world. Who's to say that the stars hold the answer, who's to say that God or a prophet will tell us what we need to know? I say, do not hold beliefs as tightly as we hold our wallets. I like ideas. One idea is that there is something out there with answers, and another idea is that there is something right here with answers. i guess it just depends on where you are looking, or what you are looking for. i guess it really all depends on whose eyes you see things through. no matter what science you specialize in, biology, physics, astrophysics... most questions are leading closer to one source. so if all things are possibly connected... well, i'll let you decide that one.

contact me at: SPmobile05@aol.com if you want to further discuss this topic.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins