Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"Guruesque"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 26, 2002 15:27:33 UTC

I thought for a moment a could hear monks chanting in the background.

I will give you a piece of advice now.

Objective thinking is virtually impossible. The only true objective things are numbers and not words. Words have a history, a meaning, and a life of their own. Your words betray you as much as they do me. When you think do you think in numbers? Are you so rational to put your family heritage, your upbringing, and your cultural influences behind you. I think not. Objectivity is a matter subjective opinion. Relativism rules my thinking, and I think you are full of Language Removed (relatively speaking). Are you full of Language Removed? I am sure you think the answer to be no. I am sure others think the answer to be no. Does it matter? No. One man's turd is another man's nourishment, is another man's practical joke. Everything is relative. There are no absolutes, when it comes to dogma or philosophy. Numbers I do believe are real. Statistics, on the other hand, can be manipulated by words.

For instance - on a show about the Apollo moon landing "hoax", there was a statistic thrown out that said, "20% of Americans doubt that we actually landed on the moon". Where did that number come from? It wasn't cited. Did we have reason to fake the lunar landing? Yes we did. We had to win the space race and be the #1 superpower in the world. Beat the Soviets. We had reason to fake the landing. Do I doubt we went to the moon? Maybe slightly. Do I think we went to the moon? Yes I do. Too many people would have to be involved in the hoax, and I am not that paranoid. My point is that anything can be said to manipulate others and get your point across.

I do think about Christianity. I do try to consider others beliefs. I have my own set of experiences and mental constructs that are separate from yours. I try very hard, but nobody can convince me. Maybe I don't want to be convinced. Maybe I want belief in God to be simpler than it is. I want something tangible. I don't want symbolism, outdated scripture, or "the miracle of life" to be proof of God. I want hard proof. I can't get that from religion or from "objectively" thinking about different viewpoints.

Keep your new age quackery to yourself. I will be as cynical as I want to be.

Thanks for replying

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins