Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 9, 2002 12:59:31 UTC

Scott,

I assumed I would be crucified for my comments, but instead you waded through my negativity and answered my question

Once you get your baptism of fire few things can burn you. If you plan to hang around get ready for yours.

Is there some history between the 2 of you or what? You both seem to have conflicting views of reality, don't you?

Think of a preacher and a heretic, that's what Harv and I are. But when we're not discussing religion we can have a lot of fun at the local pub. I even let Harv drive me home so that he thinks he's more sober than I (that's what friends are for)

I guess I would have to refer to myself as a reductionist.

That's good, we haven't had one around since Alex left.

I think existence can be reduced to neural responses to environmental stimuli.

Everything can be reduced to something. The real question is, so what?

All of philosophy is beautiful and poetic, but basically egocentric to the human viewpoint.

Not my philosophy. I see life and the universe as a magical dance in which we are both performers and spectators. Some people seem to look at the size of Creation and think, "boy, what am I in face of such a huge universe?". I happen to think, "boy, I must be pretty important to be chosen to be part of this".

I mean 10,000,000 species of insects could care less - they are programmed to reproduce and die. Isn't that what we are here to do.

Well, we can start an argument on why evolution doesn't really explain all questions concerning life.

Isn't it possible that our advancements in science, technology, and to a certain extint religion is an end product of boredom? Our brains are wired to "think" our way into survival, maybe contemplation is nothing more than an offshoot, or byproduct of evolution only useful to us.

Maybe the theory of evolution is a byproduct of contemplation?

I'm not too old, but I'm old enough to understand the plasticity of our minds. The world will always look exactly the way you want to see it. That means there isn't much truth to your observations, whatever they happen to be, but it also means you can choose how the world looks like.

The most important thing for me is, since we can't really know what is going on anyway, why waste time trying? Why not enjoy life and leave the future in the hands of whatever it is that managed to create the past? He/It hasn't done such a bad job so why be concerned?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins