Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Meritocracy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 10, 2002 19:58:56 UTC

My definition of meritocracy (which is probably not right except in my own little world) is the idea that privledged people have more opportunity to achieve merit. Maybe meritocracy in a perfect world would be equal and fair, but not in this country. I have a cynical attitude towards meritocracy because I believe merit, for the most part, is not earned, but inherited or given through privledge. If you want examples you only have to look at our president. It is my belief that we live in a society where the rich like being rich and they would like their kids to carry on their legacy of being rich. Lets face it, most stories of rags to riches are merely anticdotal at best, and are spread forth to assure the middle class their is "hope". Bottom line is this - corporate America has groomed us from birth to be good consumers and accumulate large debt so the rich can be rich and the poor will remain poor. Class systems are not necessary when goods are in abundance. How many cars, houses, and yachts do people need? When is enough, enough. Enough already!

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins