Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thou Shalt Not Lie

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 5, 2002 14:57:43 UTC

is not, as far as I know, a commandment in any western religion. It is a commandment in Buddhism and perhaps in other eastern religions. But I have only seen explicit commandments in Buddhism among the eastern religions.

It definitely is not among the ten Christian comandments or as far as I know among the 613 Jewish commandments. I do not recall seeing it in the Koran, but I just read it once. So perhaps it is a commandment of Islam. But somehow I doubt it.

In my opinion, god gave us all of these religions. So the question is, why is honesty only a commandment in an eastern religion?

Perhaps in one of the discourses of Jesus, something was said about honesty. But I do not remember any. Does anyone know of the ideal of honesty being a precept in any western religion?

Are we to believe that we are allowed to be dishonest. It's apparent that almost everyone and every organization is. The govt hides facts and puts spin on the facts that become known. Corporations are diliberately dishonest and upper management force lower management to fololow suit.

It seems that only in science is honesty an ideal to be religiously followed in the west. Without a high degree of honesty in science, progress would come to a halt.

So did god leave it up to us to discover the value of honesty. In commerce and banking honesty is also an ideal. It's the basis of western capitalism. Not always adhered to, just as the ten commandments are often broken, but honesty is a commandment of western society, like in the court system. And we use forensic science to back it up.

So why is honesty a secular notion rather than a product of revelation??? Can anyone help me with this question?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2018 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins