Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sure, Sure

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on March 10, 2002 02:29:56 UTC

Dolphin wrote:
"Mike: people come to forums like this looking for others to strongly challenge their ideas. Criticism is not taken personally but actually invited! (by some anyway)."

It would be really nice if you could show me where Harv was doing this in correspondence with me. I'm looking for a pattern, not just a tiny smidgen of an entrail of a conversation.

Dolphin wrote:
"I was a bit concerned when you seemed to be trying to discourage Yanniru from telling me what he really thought. If for example he ever thinks I'm talking nonsense I would rather know that than pretend otherwise."

I don't know what this is about. Please cite it if you want me to consider it. Thank you.

Dolphin wrote:
"Harv: you might want to debate this, but suggest check out the debate I had with Yanniru which Paul got involved with too: there is no such thing as mental illness- the term is a metaphor for disaproved-of-behaviour. There is such a thing as disagreement over acceptable behaviour; but disagreements are not diseases. See also www.szasz.com for example read about psychiatry's "phlogiston".

One place I don't agree with the ACLU is that persons should be able to use the First Amendment
in a protected way to wage a war on someone else's First Amendment rights... We can discuss where to place the limits of free expression, but it sure seems wrong to advocate having someone's rights infringed by appeal to a mental health intervention scenario in an abusive application of that profession...and especially in the context of what was actually said on this forum, it seems proof of bad faith, not a mere disagreement. And since it really did happen in various recent historical contexts, it is the more odious to read in connection with one's self.

Peace,

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins