Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Exist Or Not To Exist

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 5, 2001 19:03:27 UTC

Alex,

Since I know you're very smart, I wonder what you think about this:

Materialists believe that science has left no room in the universe for God. Since God has been proven not to exist, everything traditionally associated with the idea of God also goes down the drain, including the dearest of all beliefs, the afterlife. A man is his body, he comes from nothing, exists for some years, then disappears into nothing, never to be heard from again.

I can see the logical power of that argument but I also wonder what a materialist thinks of this:

Science has demonstrated that the universe is predictable. God is supposed to be a conscious being who interferes with the universe in the same way we think we interfere with our bodies. A predictable universe leaves no room for conscious actions, which are arbitrary by nature, so a conscious God cannot possibly exist. However, the laws that rule the universe also rule our bodies, which would imply that a conscious self cannot possibly exist. People who believe that they exist as a conscious self are simply ignorant of the laws of physics.

What is wrong with that argument? Isn't it as logical as the first one? No conscious God, no conscious man, isn't that inevitable? How does a materialist explain his irrational belief that he is conscious and has freewill?

When I ask materialists these kinds of questions, I usually get answers as dumb as those of a religious fanatic. I have yet to find a person whose bold assertions hold any water. Are you up to the challenge?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins