Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Higher Vantage Points

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Benjamin Nelson on February 2, 2001 14:08:52 UTC

Mario:

There is no offense here. Indeed, whatever invective contributions I’ve received in this forum pale in comparison to those I’ve received from the so-call "academy." This, perhaps, is a good thing. Nevertheless, the point I am trying to make it simply this: we are endowed by nature to find order. But we constantly bump up against our limits. Just as an insect can only see objects that move across its visual field with certain motions, so are we aware of only a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum. But we assume that we can supplement our sense with our minds and with our mathematics. We theorize about frequencies beyond our horizon, the invisible rays of inferred and ultraviolet light, of gamma and radio waves, and we build instruments to detect them. Then we weave stores about how these hidden words must be. And when we fail to find symmetry in the world around us, we imagine extra dimensions, higher vantage points from which the world will regain its perfection. But for all our efforts, the whole truth will always elude us, because we are a part of the very universe we are trying to understand. We are trapped inside the system. Indeed, you cannot have a theory of representation -- you can only represent. Hence, any effort to explain the world must begin with a leap of faith.

B. L. Nelson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins