Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Honestly...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 7, 2003 11:55:18 UTC

We are at a very dangerous period in our evolutionary development. After leaving Africa our ancestors spread out quickly over the planet, in a relatively quick time period we developed technology way above our wisdom to use such technology. In short, we are like the eight year old that has discovered their father's gun.

As an eight year old kid, we need to put the gun away. However, the excitement of having all that 'power' in our hands with our buddies (other countries) means that we are more likely to compete to hold the weapon and even use it in a deadly way.

Putting the gun away so to speak just wouldn't be acceptable to the powers that be. Few want to retire the cloning idea, few want to back off from developing nuclear technology, and few are willing to consider technology in general as a potential threat.

I'm not saying that technology is a bad thing, however you have to wonder whether or not it really is if we gain our body but lose our soul. Are we losing our souls? Will technology eventually get out of hand with such a young species? I think eventually it is inescapable.

Our only real chance is to take 9-11 and global warming to heart, and try to give ourselves more time to keep dangerous weapons away from those who would intentionally use them, and to study the damaging implications of our technology, and begin to be more responsible on a global scale. Basically, this will delay not prevent the wide scale damaging effects of technology gone haywire. All it takes is another type of 'Star Wars' program (innocently conceived), and we might create the Frankenstein monster that gets us all.

Live life. Enjoy it. Have faith in God. This is all we can do as our fate is to be decided. I personally have faith that God is above and he's down below, and he's all around. If he got us this far, I don't think he intends to let go.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins