Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
If It Were So Easy, Why Would Professionals Disagree?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Pearson on August 28, 2002 01:11:18 UTC

Okay, Aaron, you have opened a new topic.
Aaron wrote:
"I wouldn't worry about loggers comeing in and destroying the forests. I mean wouldn't they just be destroying there own buisness? Think of Loggers as farmers and it becomes much easier to see why
they won't destroy the whole crop. Now obviously you can only carry the comparision so far, but
loggers want forests they need them to survive. In fact I would bet you the more trees are planted by
loggers then any other group out there."

Loggers are not farmers. I bet many of them would not mind being farmers, like staying in one place and owning a big tract of land. They're nomadic in that they must work one section of mature trees at a time. They follow instructions from a corporate office, passed along by managers. Those corporations own much of their own land. When they log on national forests, they will not pay loggers to plant trees just because they are nice. They will do it because the U.S. Forest Service, acting as agents for the People of the United States by laws enacted in Congress, require them to plant those trees as a condition of the sale.

Many large areas have been harmed by logging around the world. When areas are logged with environmentally sound practices in the United States, one cause is the tension between professional biologists holding various views about sound practices. The original question is about forests which actually belong to the government, so be sure we have plenty of reason to investigate what is being considered.

Does anyone have any answer to my original question -- will building adequate firebreaks by harvesting
trees in our national forest NOW as a regular practice RESULT in a net saving of trees and help the ozone?

I am glad you like this topic. I feel it is connected with god and science and that we should go deep on it with our best thoughts.
Back atcha,
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins