Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Abilty To Converse With Formal Operations Is A Stage In Maturing

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on June 15, 2002 00:23:00 UTC

I wasn't actually trying to say "shut up" but only that it might be right to do so on certain personal matters in other folk's lives IF you cannot give an adequate account on specific questions pertaining to those matters which you have cited in your opinion...By the way, how about sharing which denomination you belong with?

You wrote:
??? Legal terminology ???

Response: "Murder" is a legal term.

You wrote:
I believe the soul is 'breathed' in a human at the moment of conception, and if a women kills that baby, the spirit goes to heaven. That's my belief.

Response:
Friendly question, but necessary, I think: Why should your belief have jurisdiction over someone else's belief when it is contrary to the public finding of the Supreme Court?
If you are NOT saying your opinion should have jurisdiction over someone else's, then you accept the finding of the Supreme Court.
But why should we care what you think about the Soul if you can't even say specifically what it is...and if you can, why should your belief have more weight than another American's on this subtle and mysterious question?

For example, I belief this is a terrible can of worms. There are tremendous injustices in the world. Some of them occur to persons who are living, while some of them occur to persons who lived long ago (like being misrepresented cruelly)
and some of them occur to the beginnings of a person who is not given the best prenatal environment. But since we know that most prenatal children are only forming their minds after their brains achieve significant wiring thresholds, it seems likely that a younger foetus does not experience any regret or deprivation at all if the parents feel there was no place being prepared.

It's fine with me to advocate strongly for adoption and I appreciate you for it.
But I don't think it's right to condemn folks on subjects about which you can't even explain your beliefs. And you did condemn them. You said they murdered. If you are wrong, you have violated the Commandment against "Bearing false witness against thy neighbor."

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins