Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
For The Average Person, Science Is Like Religion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 4, 2002 21:06:27 UTC

That is because we are told that electrons, etc., exist but cannot verify their existence ourselves. So we take it on faith that the scientists who do the verifying experiments are giving us honest results.

Personally I do not believe that particles exist- it's all fields and particles are a good approximation. But for me, even though I can make a case that particles do not exist, it really is a choice I make in my belief system because that then makes physics consistent with some eastern religious scripture.

Now you and I know that the important aspects of science, including anthropology and archaelogy, can be repeatably verified by experiment and data analysis. But for most every school boy, what is told to him about science must be accepted on faith. So the sociology of belief in science is not so different from that of religion.

I just read Randell Collin's big book on 'The Sociology of Philosophies' in which it is explained how down thru the ages philosophers have always staked out oppositional belief systems so as to maintian uniqueness in the attention space.

Collins however points out that when experimental science came along, there became a means to produce consensus that even philosophers could not be opposed to, at least not without being put in the same category as creationists, like myself, I might add. I am just an Old Creationist.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins