Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
That Was Deep!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 19, 2002 13:11:54 UTC

Hi Dick,

Very nice reply, thanks for putting the time to write it. I'm sure others have enjoyed reading it as much as I did. There's so much I'd like to comment, but unfortunately time is short these days, so I'll just pick what I think goes to the essence of the issue:

I know you don't think the way I do

Exactly! In fact, I think you don't think the way most people do. You can take that as an insult or as a compliment, I mean neither. You are certainly original, and that alone makes you relevant.

That said, I also think you fail to understand some of the roles explanations, theories, rationalizations, in a word, conscious thought play in people's life.

Very rarely can conscious thought do much more than establish the validity of a single cross connection of concepts

Now here I disagree vehemently. The subconscious works in mysterious ways, if you don't feed it theories, it won't tell you what to do. Sometimes the most fantastical, off-the-mark, delusional theories can produce some quite amazing results. Sometimes I think the whole point of thinking about theories is to keep your conscious mind busy while your subconscious does the real thinking, the one that actually produces results.

If that is true, then all "theories" are equal, including your own. Chris' model of the universe, Paul's, Yanniru's, Alan's, yours, mine, they all should be judged by their usefulness, by what you can achieve by thinking about them.

The rest, as you say, is all a matter of opinion.

Cheers,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins