Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Dick

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 24, 2002 23:35:30 UTC

Great day, eh?

Some comments...

You wrote -
"I am of the personal opinion that the real cause is the fact that the educational system has no way of determining ones ability to think; however, they can check very easily what one has managed to remember."

I completely agree with you!!

The problem of course is not the educational system or the people involved, it is the individual that squanders their opportunities who is really to blame. We live in a society of where things are too readily available. We are not "put out" by anything anymore. People today, generally speaking, take their education for granted and it makes the jobs of educators very hard. Getting people to think requires an effort by both parties, no matter how engaging the teacher is. Sometimes getting people to remember something is a rewarding enough.

You wrote -
"I do not know how good your mathematical abilities are, but if you can understand partial differential equations and matrix multiplication, what I have done should not be beyond your abilities to comprehend (however, it might take some careful work and some thought as it is not trivial). Let me know and arrangements can be made to get you a copy."

I had to take trig and calculus in college and that is as far as I got (besides stats). Trust me, I did not do very well in my math classes. I have always been a much more verbal kind of guy than a math kind of guy. Your math would be out of my league. I can try if you want to make arrangements though.

You wrote -
" My position is only that the scientists have done a very poor job of laying out the foundations of their beliefs. "

Do you believe this of all the sciences or just astronomy and physics?

Thanks

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins