Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
America's Favorite Family Forum

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 18, 2002 15:47:14 UTC

You wrote -
"Today, April 9th, I had a sincere chit chat with God..."

In the great words of Mike Pearson - I don't believe your authenticity!! Chit chat! What is this a party line? The funniest part of the sentence was that you put sincere and chit chat next to each other. Nice touch.

You wrote -
"My Special Prayer
If the following statements are true:

1.That God is absolute truth.
2.That God is absolute love.
3.That God is absolute good.
4.That God is absolutely infinite.
5.That God sent Jesus Christ as our Saviour and Messiah and that Jesus was resurrected from the dead.
6.That there is eternal life for humans. That we partake of eternal life.
7.That the moral and ethical principles are to love God and your neighbor as yourself. "

I believer the notion that God is infinite is still under question in a few of the posts below, but we will let you slide on that one. Our saviour? Saviour to Jews? Saviour to future Christians only? In this forum you must specify the definition of "our", otherwise you are engaging in "sloppy logic" (which was coined by our own Dr. Dick, or maybe Mike, I don't really remember). I don't think God had it in mind that human beings would be eternal, maybe their soul might be but certainly not the flesh.

I once read a Sagan book where he delved into the idea of the soul and prayer, I can't recall all of the specifics but it went something like this...

A couple experiments were conducted at some point in history to decide if prayer really worked and if the soul really could be proven to exist. Empirical tests were made and data was gathered. It seems if you weigh a human before and after it dies, there is no noticeable change in mass - Conclusion - no tangible soul exists in the body. As for prayer, statistical data was compiled on the lives of many Kings and Queens who ruled England other other countries. You see, a lot of praying was done for these people and an experiment was set up to see if the extra prayers provided longer life spans or better health. It seems the data showed no difference between nobles and commoners or the Kings and Queens. Prayer is either in the mind (which could effect the outcome of events), or purely coincidence.

Remember that analagy that if I have an invisible dragon which breathes fire in my garage and I say it exists you really can't prove me wrong.

You wrote -
"I uttered a quick prayer asking God to confirm that this information came from God, and I silenced my mental activity,and I heard an affirmation in the form of a soft voice in my mind."

In the immortal words of the late Jim Morrison on the great single, "The Soft Parade" - "You cannot petition the lord with prayer." Uttering a quick chant does not summon the lord to your whims. God is not a genie in a bottle!!

You wrote -
"Upon doing some research, I discovered that there is only one Veronica Fernandez without a second surname in Monterrey and she's the only Veronica Fernandez in Monterrey that appears on the Internet"

Research? Is that like "work", because Mike does the best work around here, maybe you should get a response from him.

You wrote -
"So did God answer my prayer or did my subconscious mind simply make a very lucky guess? I believe that God answered my prayer. What do you think?"

I think prayer doesn't work. Listen, bad stuff happens and good stuff happens, and that is called life. There is no way in hell that anyone in here with a straight face could say that your experiment would grab the attention of God and give you that information.

I prayed some at one point in my life. I used to not be so cynical of prayer, religion, and human perceptions of God. I hope someday to feel something other that emptiness in my heart. Somedays I look into the eyes of my boy and I think I see God, but I really don't know because that could just be my mind yearning for something more than this wasteland of human debris we see before us each day. Sometimes I feel like a bottomless pit of despair and sadness as I walk languidly through the corridors of this dank, dark cesspool of a world.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins