Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
And You've Lost Mine

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on April 23, 2002 17:05:06 UTC

Scott,

***Then why doesn't God cut out the middleman, and save us already!! Is God a fan of soap opera's? Do you think God sits back with a cold one and watches the human drama play out before is holy eyes. I don't know, but it all seems too much like an after school special.***

As Alan would say 'Things Are'. Okay, I won't use that 'logic' exactly, but I will use a derivative of it. There is perhaps a certain 'fact of the matter' scenario that plays itself out that requires God's involvement in the world, but not to the point to where God takes over the show.

I like to think of God as an organizing principle to the world that causes certain events to be timed and occur in a certain manner such that God's will is done. What decides God's direct actions in the world, in my view, depends on a delicate balance of naturalism versus teleological direction. For example, the world moves naturally (i.e., probablistically) to certain critical points, and then when reaching criticality the system is more easily influenced by the effects of teleological direction (prior to then the system is more affected by high probabilities of natural direction). In this manner God organizes the world and aids in the overall direction of the world.

If someone prays to God, I believe that God hears those prayers and when the system is vunerable to freer movement, God influences the world such that the prayer is answerable.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins