Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Fat Guy Justified His Aggression

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 25, 2002 00:21:10 UTC

on the basis of evolution. If the Aryans were more fit, then they deserved to take over the world, if you take the philosophy of survival of the fittest seriously. In my mind that is evil.

But I think evolution is not defined by survival of the fittest, even if that is one of the elementary processes at work. I think of evolution as the "history" of all species on earth- the record of how they have come into existence, gradually changed in form, and in some cases went extinct. Evolution is not a theory. It is a bunch of facts determined from archaeology and like sciences.

In the above post, I am responding to the tendancy of fundamentalists to label everything as either good or evil. In the limit of this approximationb, and defining evolution by the pricniple of survival of the fittest, the means of evolution are evil even when the outcome (us) can be thought of as good. Therefore, from a fundamentalist point of view, and this has been explicitly stated in the jewish midrash, the world requires both good and evil for its operation.

There is a story in the midrash that one day the rabis caught the devil and cast him in concrete. But in the following week all human affairs came to an end (pun intended), and babies were no longer produced, and merchants lost their ambition to make money, and so on. So they had to free the devil to get the world started again.

Regards,

Fat Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins