Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
That's Right, True Is True

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on January 27, 2002 02:20:42 UTC

Alex,

***"..what happens along the way is what happens..." My understanding is that things not just happen (or arbitrary happen), they happen because of certain mathematical reason.***

If everything happened for a mathematical reason then you could predict everything including all quantum events. Uncertainty appears to exist ontologically in the world and it even appears to exist in mathematics (according to Chaitin).

***Harvey, don't you feel that explanation of killing children by God as "for higher good" is, softly speaking, naive?***

It's not the hand of God that these events occur. The events just 'are'.

***Or, let's put it in more general perspective. You justify ANYTHING which happens as God's plan. ANYTHING AT ALL. Besides obvious moral bancrupcy of this justification it has ZERO value in understanding nature, let alone in predicting nature's behavior.***

That's right, anything that happens is 'allowed' to happen. If something that was not 'allowed' to happen then we would not see those events. I have no idea if there were any moral related events that could have happened but were not allowed to happen. It depends on whether the divine plan is very restrictive or very tolerant in this way. There's no way for humans to know. However, we do know that certain restrictions apparently apply on the physical world in terms of mathematical restrictions as they apply to physical law.

***So, "events happen the way they happen, and this exactly is the higher plan of God"? Looks like you still live in 21st century BC and does not know that there is more accurate and more useful explanation of events (it is called science, by the way).***

Science can only explain the physical events, and even many of these are not explained, they are simply described. For example, astrophysics has given us a good clue as to how stars form (although there is still much missing), but it cannot tell us whether there is some anthropic reason as to why stars form. Science is mainly descriptive in this sense.

***By the way, how open is the mind which says that "events happen the way they happen because this is the higher plan of God"?***

I consider myself very open to evidence. Give me a scientific or philosophical paper that you would like me to read and I will try to be open-minded.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins