Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Just My Speculation

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 17, 2001 18:37:13 UTC

Hi Mark,

I believe in a benevolent God, so this is how I justify the existence of a heaven. My particular theism focuses heavily on the nature of truth and the whole point of creation is to find 'truth'.

In the process of finding truth the Creator makes judgements of what is true from what is not. Those things that are true are 'saved' and those things that are not are 'thrown out' or firewalled from the things that have been saved.

So, to answer your question from my perspective, the people who live a life of falsehood and deceit are firewalled from the things that are true. Whether that means their fate is a continual conscious experience, or subconscious experience, or completely unconscious I have no idea.

I believe that God is pure mercy and will compromise as much as possible without compromising the judgement process of distinguishing truth from false. If that means that God could end the existence of someone who is not intent on living a 'true' existence, then I believe God would do so (again, just as long as this action didn't somehow affect his ability to judge properly).

If for some reason God couldn't/wouldn't (for whatever reason) end the existence of a person who was judged as disqualified for a permanent position in this kingdom of truth, then I don't think God would torture such an individual. Rather, I think the status of being false would seal them from God's presence and this would be the hell that many people envision.

I personally don't believe such hell exists. I don't think there is a reason to bring to consciousness someone who, after being judged, would be put out of God's presense for eternity.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins