Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In Theory...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on August 9, 2001 01:13:13 UTC

Yes, Nothing is just that, Nothing. Exactly like 'A' is equal to 'A', but I simply tried to twist my belief a little bit, or shall I say redirect it. In our existence, or from our perspective, logic and common sense, dictate that Nothing is Nothing. Therefore we could agree that it can never be.

By redirecting part of my belief, I can step outside the logical realm for a moment. Kinda move the pieces around the board a bit, or switching my perspective, by reshaping the 'Playing Field'. That's much more appropriate. I conveyed, or made an attempt to explain my 'new' viewpoint with the use of something we can understand. Numbers. That's if we are talking about the equation -0+0=1 in the leading discussion thread 'Something from Nothing'. Which I say -0+0=1 is illogical, and it is, again, from our frame of reference. Two thoughts to support my thinking, odd as it may be.

1. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Speaks for itself.

a. Remember, the tree that fell in the forest. Did it make a sound? I really believe that it did.
We were not there to hear it. So I think in all fairness, I can say this. I am convinced that it made a sound, I just can't tell you how it sounded, how loud the sound was, and the sounds time duration.

b. Another thought. Man and Woman. Man has the sperm, and woman has the egg. Yes, I'm no fool, I know that a sperm is something, and so is the egg, but really, take my symantec connotation for a spin, without each other, they are nothing. So to speak.

So I take the position, using the 'every Action produces an equal and/or opposite Reaction' example, and say that at one moment there must have been an illogical side to this, and that is what I take on faith, because we live within the logical existence. And I even bend the 'Tree' example a bit, with imagination. The use of imagination is ok, it's kinda like imagining what GOD might look like. So with this imagination I try and envision components of NOTHING that I could qualify as possibly immeasurable. like a 'Moment without Time', or a 'Reason without GOD'. Both, a moment and a reason are measurable components in our existance. That's also where the tree example plays a part. NOTHING is no more, but that does not mean it didn't exist at one 'Moment'. I reiterate by saying 'Nothing' is being totally illogical, from our logical perspective.

I'll pitch some religious fairness. I am jewish, and my faith believes that Jesus did exist. He was a Rabbi, but that he was not the 'Son of GOD'. In the jewish religion we believe in 'One GOD', there is none else. I stand by that whole heartedly. But who am I to question whether Jesus was or wasn't the 'Son of GOD'. I simply wasn't there. So I couldn't honestly tell you. It might appear that I have crushed my belief into the ground a bit, but I feel that I've left 'The Door Open'.

The 'A = A' religious perspective.

I can also say that Jesus could have been the 'Son of GOD', it's possible. Remember,
'Jesus is Jesus' and 'GOD is GOD'. That also does not break my faith, at all. There is still only is 'One GOD'.

On Opinion's bumpiness trail.

Yes, your statement is true. Again, an opinion is simply what it is. Just an opinion. It is not meant to offend or convince anyone. But it's something to think about. If you wish.

Best regards back at ya.

rggarfinkle

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins