Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Universes That Pop Out Of Math Books

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 9, 2001 22:26:09 UTC

Alex,

I just saw the movie 'AI' and I thought of our discussion in the movie. There was one scene in which an AI intelligent 'teddy bear' was being called by the two boys in the film to find out which boy was Teddy's favorite. Unfortunately the AI programmers of this AI teddy bear didn't create a spontaneous symmetry breaking algorithm for the poor toy, and the toy had no means to select which boy to go toward (i.e., the choice was completely symmetrical).

Now, if the natural laws of physics originate from pure mathematical symmetries, then my question is what breaks the mathematical symmetry? A pure symmetry is an ideal created in the minds of mathematicians. However, you are suggesting that a pure symmetry exists (or existed prior to the universe) in mathematical (i.e., ontological) form, so how did the 'teddy bear' - that is, the blind force of math break perfect symmetry?

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins